Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Here's A Thought

Since I'm not going to be able to post anything substantial until this weekend, here's something to chew on.

Perhaps the reason all the various fundamentalist movements in the world's religions are in such a froth is because religion (at least as we've known it for 3000 years) is dying.
I don't really see any compelling reason, apart from legal requirement or intimidation, to be religious anymore.

See ya in church on Sunday!  

UPDATE:

I don't see any compelling reason to NOT be religious either.  Missionary atheism is but the other side of the coin from missionary fundamentalism.  Perhaps another question is why we think it necessary to bend and conform others to what we believe.  Why should we feel threatened when others don't see the world as we do.  


5 comments:

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Surelly you mean that "legal requirement or intimidation to be religious" are off ;=)

Anonymous said...

I don't know but we do....or most do. I'm with Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

IT

June Butler said...

For some of us, there is a compelling reason to be religious, a compulsion from within, not from the outside. I agree that the church, as we know it, appears to be dying, but perhaps something new will arise out of the ashes. Perhaps, it is already, but we don't recognize it.

Meanwhile, I say, too, "Can't we all just get along?"

Anonymous said...

I'm not into "compelling" (within OR without).

However, I am into Jesus (and the Reign of God-is-LOVE that Jesus proclaimed).

If atheists ever come up with a better offer, I'm listening...

Sirrocco said...

Isn't God inside each of us? The so called divine spark. Are religions failing because they seek to externalise and objectify God?