Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016 -- So Many Personal Anniversaries!




I moved to New York 25 years ago (photo of me in 1994 on the roof of 256 East 10th street)





I graduated from the Kansas City Art Institute 35 years ago (photo of me with Alice Neel on Graduation Day with one of my paintings from the time; the love child of Rothko and Friedrich).





I earned my first masters degree in art history and taught my first classes at Washington University 30 years ago.




I graduated from high school 40 years ago (my high school yearbook pic)




I had my first solo show at 409 Gallery of the Organization of Independent Artists 15 years ago.  I showed the complete first series of paintings of David Wojnarowicz that are now in the permanent collection of the Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art.




I began working for Borders Books in the long destroyed World Trade Center 20 years ago.  I still have close friends from my time in that store.


3 comments:

Jeffrey Smith said...

Gah! I just realized I too graduated high school that many years ago. My yearbook picture has that same earnest look. But unlike yours, I had a tie/suit combo that clashed horribly. But I suppose that links in to the fact that you are the artist and I am not.

JCF said...

It's my brother's 40th HS grad anniversary too. He was just here;, didn't think to ask him about it.

You arrived in NYC one year after me, Doug---but I only stayed 4 years!

Time marches...

Kittredge Cherry said...

Congrats on your many anniversaries! Love the vintage photos!